Monday, March 1, 2010

Why a name

Baby names, yes baby names. This is stressful too, we had the boys name and sort of a girls name but don't know how we want to spell it, b/c I want a little latin in my child, besides the half I am giving her, and now, I don't know what to do. I don't want to tell too many people b/c one always knows someone with that name and either couldn't stand them or thought they were ok. We had the name Joshua for a boy since last years babies, then 2 people I know named their boys that so I was trying to come up with a diff name, so it wouldn't be weird. So we almost had a full boy name picked out for our boy that everyone said we were having, haha. Than with girls names, I liked Elena at first, but that is Tim's families housekeeper, again a little awkward, hm. Then came the short last name, so it can't be a short first name, it has to flow, and with a german last name, the first name can't be harsh either. Then initials, my baby isn't going to be a H.O. or B.O. so b's and h's are out. If I missed anything please chime in, really. Tims family gave me Carl (like a used car lott, and one more, now I have to sound them out too, oh no!!)Tim likes K.O. haha, so she will beat up boys if he doesn't. There are also diff meanings to diff names, one I liked means joyous song in baby name book, which I just looked up online and all they have it meaning is a free man, um okay. So I just looked up girls on facebook with the name and spelling that I like and they are all gorgeous, so that works for me, hey I want to give her a chance. :) This is a name they will have for the rest of their lives, unless they end up rebeling and becoming Poppy or something like that. Very important stuff to think about.......

1 comment:

  1. So, I voted. Trying to keep your desire to have Latina in the name. Something about the Carolena makes me think dark and latina. IDK why. But she can always shorten that to Lena (lee-na) verses Carol, and Lena sounds more Latin to me than Carol. Have you considered Penelope (think Penelope Cruz) (short Penny) Penelope Ott. Tim might like P.O. as in Pissed Off) haha! Or Isabel (Isabelle) with a short of Izzie or Belle. Isabelle Ott. I.O. You might also think about Isabella. Not as hispanic-latin, I know, but Its beautiful when you say it (and rolls off the tongue like you liked..Isabella Ott). You might also look through extended family names including middle names - thats how we got Adelaide (my Great Grandmother and Great Aunt on my Dad's mom's side had it as a middle name and they were both crazy strong, intelligent, elegant women). Just my suggestions!

    You might also avoid the N's (N.O.) and the F's (F.O. like MO FO)... if you're thinking of avoiding school yard taunting hehe :)

    Hope you find something you like!

    ReplyDelete