Thursday, November 11, 2010

Wartime through a loved ones heart

So all the Marines have been posting what happened 6 years ago this week and I just wanted to get my thoughts down as well. I know I am not a veteran but a life running parallel as these men were gone and staying in real world is still important.

Tim had finished bootcamp, and I with his family attended his graduation. He had talked a long time through high school that he was going to be a Marine, it was his destiny. Right out of high school he tried to enlist but it was Sept 2001, and he got rejected,some rule about not having seizures for at least 10 years, he was at 9 1/2. So we grew a bit apart and I went to school and he did an assortment of odd jobs. When we got back in each other's lives and he tried enlisting again, 2 years had already gone by. He got accepted, and I got a call, I am leaving now, hope to see you, but I didn't get to see him till 3 months later, after some letters that had to be approved to go outby the DI. So at his graduation, got to see how proud he was to be in that uniform, he had proved everybody wrong and made it. Then the work-ups started, he was going to war and it was coming fast.

When he deployed, I had just transferred to a 4 year, I had my life on track, I knew what I what I wanted to achieve.But I constantly watched the news, kept my phone with me at all times, and checked my emails in all my free time, just to see if I got any word.I heard from him plenty, I got calls , (love that echo),and talked to his mom and dad to see if we had got different news. Then he started getting a little weird. Did I want to break up with him, had I found that smart guy that I should be having coffee with at the university. Was I over him and didn't need this anymore. I told him that should be the last thing he should be thinking about while in a warzone, so I told him I would be waiting for him when he got back( I love that line from Pearl Harbor,whatever anyone says about that movie :) Friends and family asked about him, did I get any news and how is he? Doing good, I hear from him all the time, I can't even fathom how they did it back in the old days......Then I got the call, you may not hear from me for a bit. 1 month later, ( news was my source the 1st deployment, after that I didn't watch the news prob till last year) I hadn't heard anything, my classes were the last thing on my mind and I couldn't focus at all. It took a toll and I failed some classes. More to post later......

No comments:

Post a Comment