
I was nervous, but everyone seems to like my bows, haven't sold too many online but I am pushing forward . Then came a craft fair, a first test of if it could be more than a hobby. Everyone came by, saying how nice and beautiful stuff was, but didn't want to pay for it. So after a semi let down craft fair, I felt a little down, I have been working hard on all my hairbows, and I started to make a few wreaths, only to have people walk by and say, "oh its just felt wrapped around each other, you could make this at home" to one another..... Wow, I know that I am standing right here, but geez. This a hobby , turned into possibly a dream of doing my own thing and owning a small business.
I have had a few days to take it all in, and still am looking for more craft fairs, I need a good one to either prove or disprove if I should keep all my marketing up . My hubby has been very motivating and says do what you enjoy, I like that, so I think I will keep trying

The problem with craft fairs is that crafty people go to them, so unless they see something they don't think THEY can make, they wont buy it. Try setting up a little booth (get the business' permission 1st) outside a posh cafe, or an expensive breakfast restaurant on a Sunday - somewhere where the people coming out are the kind that would rather buy something than make it. Don't be discouraged, just find a different audience! :D
ReplyDeleteYou could also approach boutique type stores about selling your stuff through them. You'd probably have to give them a cut of sales, but you have a reasonable assurance that the people buying in there are buying because they won't make it...and your stuff is probably lower cost than ordering through a supplier and buying mass market type for the business. Craft fairs seem to be places where people go to get ideas on what to make on their own...kinda not the point, but that's what I noticed.
ReplyDelete